Tuesday, March 10, 2009

We're All Good...

Dear Mam,

Today is your anniversary. It's hard to believe you've been gone 22 years, that's twice as long as I knew you, if I were to measure it with something as simple as time. Sometimes, I think it would be so nice to sit across from you like we used to at our special tea parties and watch you make us a chocolate biscuit sandwich. I still remember the first time I saw you do it, it even seemed odd to me as a six year old, and we all know six year olds would eat a mud pie if left to their own devices. Funny part is, secretly I think they are yummy, a chocolate biscuit between two slices of bread shouldn't work, but it does.

There are lots of things I would like to ask you, but mostly I'd just want to know how you are. I'd tell you about your grand babies, how my brother is an amazing dad, his eldest is just like me, which means she's just like you, although she could give both of us a run for our money when it comes to mischief. I'd also tell you I'm fine, truly, I miss you still, some days more than others, but I wouldn't trade the time we had for anything. It was a short time, but it was the best time, no rose tinted glasses, you were wonderful and I was so lucky to have had you at all. I've even accepted my love for Boney M as part of your legacy, there's just no getting away from it, Rasputin is a tune....

Love,

20 comments:

  1. I'm sure your mam would be most proud of you.
    beautiful letter,that's a wonderful way to remember those that have left us- the sadness softened by joyful memories and thankful for the time we did have with them. And it's impossible to cry listening to Boney M!

    ReplyDelete
  2. of course this made me cry! A chocolate biscuit sandwich. Now, that is LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very powerful letter. You're right, this is exactly the kind of thing we should all write down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm. You're kind of beautiful my friend.

    But chocolate biscuit sandwhich? What in the heck IS that?

    hee hee

    Yep, I'd eat it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To borrow a wonderful friends words... Crying big fat Disney tears!
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A hair trophy...now that may have just been the best comment I have received in a long time.

    I adore this letter. It reminds me of many of the times I shared with my grandparents....although we never did have chocolate biscuit sandwiches. Maybe I am missing out on something truly great?

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  7. this kind of broke my heart and repaired it at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can tell she holds a special place in your heart.

    I left something uplifting for you on my blog. Grab it if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog! Thank goodness for waterproof mascara at work! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Flora, you're great, you really are, that is all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peewee - Have a chocolate biscuit sandwich, there isn't a tear they won't dry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Orchid - Thank you, I really think getting something out of your head and on to paper works wonders, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Charmaine - a biscuit on my side of the water is a cookie, so, yes a chocolate cookie, in between two slices of bread, bread has to be white, no room for health in this sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Francesca- You should try it, just to see the look on your babies faces if for no other reason!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Krista - what a lovely sentiment, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lisa, thank you very much, that is so sweet of you, I'm delighted!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi, stumbled here through...actually, I can't remember now! This post hits me home, I lost my Mom when I was 11. And have now lived more of my life with her then without. I'm sure your Mam would have been very proud of you.

    I'm happy to have found you!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dana's Brain - Welcome to my blog, I'm glad you found it too! I had a peep at your blog and your Mom would be so proud, such sweet , sweet babies, even if you do get woken at 2 am!

    ReplyDelete